Australian marketers spend more than $1.34billion on promotional products each year …. despite the growth in digital marketing spend.
“69% of advertisers said promotional products increased brand interest and 84% it created more favourable impressions of the brand itself.” Australasian Promotional Products Association.
Why promotional products still work for the marketer?
- A way to position your brand, more serious, more fun, adventurous, innovation, etc.
- It helps to grow your brands perceived value, through association, partners, etc.
- If delivered correctly, you have a captive audience.
- It can be an inexpensive way of engaging and connecting
- It demonstrates brand creativity and effort.
- You go beyond tapping into one of the senses and therefore have a greater opportunity of engaging and creating memory.
- A lot of promotional products a kept and used by the receiver for years – creating engagement and personal memories with your brand.
- The creativity used to get a response is the key to increasing profits and promoting your brand.
Why promotional products work for the customer
- It’s physical. It tactical. People like to hold onto something. Evidence of this is all around us – people with their phones!
- They provide customers with an added benefit – not just you advertising your brand.
- If the synergy between customer, brand and promotional product is right, the customer will enjoy the association.
- Customers feel special when they receive a gift. The acknowledgement of being a valued customer feels good.
- Their impression of a company is more positive after receiving a promotional product.
- They are more likely to do business with a company after receiving a proposal product
You can never have too many USB Flash Drives. It’s the one office product that never gets re-gifted, because you know how valuable it is to your working day.
USB has made our lives so much easier. Particularly given that a big part of life revolves around storage and convenient transferability of information.
They come in a huge range of shapes, sizes, colours, capacity and can be fully customised to your specifications.
The latest flash drives are super cool … you don’t have to stick to the stock standard anymore.
The latest trend is the OTG or On The Go flash drives that provide expanded storage for smartphones and tablets. An OTG flash drive can be plugged directly into your Android or iOS smart phone to backup files, photos, videos and more without needing to be in front of a computer. This way you don’t have to miss out on any experiences whilst out and about if you happen to run out of memory on your device.
However, not all USB Flash Drive chips are the same. At TurnKey Promotions, we have staked our reputation on providing high quality products and only use a reputable technology factory providing A-grade chips sourced out of Japan. We have had clients come to us after sourcing cheap ones with real issues such as viruses being spread, the memory not being as stated, slow read-write speeds and general dissatisfaction.
USB Flash Drives are a useful branded product that will still be in demand for years to come by your customers, staff and suppliers … providing your brand with continued impressions well into the future.
You have your strategic plans, your 12 month plans, now put this to the side and focus on what you can make happen in the next 12 weeks. Sometimes we stay in the big picture and forget about the small things that can make a massive difference. They also keep the ship moving. We just want to make sure that’s it’s moving in the direction you want it to go.
Here are some questions to get you thinking about how you can make small changes in how you approach the year and create an edge that takes you beyond what you produced last year.
- What do you want to achieve for the first quarter of the year? Two things. Customer growth, Value growth, brand awareness, internal morale, database growth, etc.
- Now take it a little wider and look at the remaining quarters, what are the 1 or 2 things you can achieve in quarters 3 & 4 that will make for an impactful 2018?
- How can you build on the customer experience through-out the year? You might break it down into, as an example: Quarter 1 – Education, Quarter 2 – Inspiration, Quarter 3 – Participation, Quarter 4 – Reflection
- How can you increase your knowledge of your customer? What do you know about them, what don’t you know about them? How can you find the answers? By asking, social media, research, etc.
- Is there an opportunity to improve your communication to your customer? Is your customer interested in what you are saying? Do they look out for it? Does it add value?
- What can you do around your brand to keep it fresh, contemporary and relevant? A brand will continue to grow if you water it. So keep watering it. It might not need a lot of water, but it still needs water.
- What systems in your business need to be refreshed? Systems could range from how you launch products to how you work with your agency partners. Shake them up, in a good way, to see how you can improve on last year and ignite a new level of momentum.
Every man and his dog is doing or has done notepads. A long standing promotional product, that continues to grow. Year on year the notepad holds a top 10 position in the most popular promotional products. People still love stationery; despite being constantly tied to our phones. The great thing about the notepad is that you can make it work for your brand and your customer. It comes down to the type of notepad, the accessories you team it up with (e.g. pen or pencil), and the design. How and where you position your logo. What message do you want to convey to the audience? Is it a message that inspires and motivations? A message that people want to Instagram? The target market is wide, so it’s just about finding the right style.
- Spiral, Stitched, Stapled
- Hard Cover, Hard Backing
- Lines, Blank, Grid
- With Pen or Pencil
- Material placeholder
- Full Colour Print
- Landscape or Portrait
- A4, A5, A6, every and any size
- Leather, Woven, Board
This is to help you with your event planning for the year, whether it’s within your business or with your customers. Go low key or go all out. If you need any ideas around for promotional products, don’t hesitate to reach out.
- Australia Day: 26th January
- Back to school: 30th January
- Valentine’s Day: 14th February
- Chinese New Year: 16th February
- Australian Women’s History month: 1-31st March
- Worldwide Wildlife Day: 3rd March
- Start of Rugby season 8th March
- International Women’s Day: 8th March
- St Patrick’s Day: 17th March
- Australasian Promotional Products Association Tradeshow: 21st March
- Earth Hour 8:30pm: 24th March
- Easter: 30th March – 2nd April
- Harmony Day: 21st March
- National Youth Week: 31st March-9th April
- Administrative Professionals Day – 4th May
- Mother’s Day:13th May
- Word Refugee Day: 20th June
- End of Financial Year: 30th June
- International Youth Day 12th August
- World Humanitarian Day: 19th August
- Australasian Promotional Products Association Tradeshow: 22nd August
- Father’s Day: 2nd September
- World Gratitude Day: 21st September
- AFL Grand final day: 28th September
- World Teachers day: 5th October
- World Smile day: 5th October
- World Mental Health Day: 11th October
- United Nations Day: 24th October
- Halloween: 31st October
- Melbourne Cup Day: 6th November
- International Volunteer Day: 5th December
- Christmas: 25th December
- New Year’s Eve 31st December
Australia Day falls on a Friday in 2018. Making for a long weekend … just how we like it!
If you are looking for ideas to celebrate with your staff, clients, business partners, please get in touch with us before Christmas so we can get your order underway, so you don’t miss out.
What always works year on year:
- Game Sets
- Stubby Holders
- Pool Toys
In 2018, Chinese New Year will be celebrated on Friday, February 16.
With a growing Chinese community in the past few years, Chinese New Year is becoming a more and more prevalent celebration of culture and tradition in Australia. Families gather and festivities are held in the Asian communities to welcome the new year in.
With the upcoming Year of the Dog, which signifies fortune, career, health, and love prospects, this is what we can expect to see as we have seen in the past few decades.
- Lots of red.
- Street festivals and markets are bustling with people and noise and displays of food, art and entertainment.
- The exchange of well wishes and chattering can be heard above the beating of the drums and the cymbals clashing for the lion dances.
- Occasional firecrackers exploding in the distance.
- A trade of red pockets/envelopes (which also happens in both a physical and digital environment) and blessings occur between the elders and the young at home
- A delicious feast is prepared and eaten before families visit the temples to pray for a prosperous future.
So why not join in the celebration by participating or gifting? To the Chinese, gifting is seen as a nice gesture and effort made that shows your level of involvement. And the key thing to know here is that the Chinese LOVE their red. Anything red will capture their eye and will be kept as a symbol of luck. At Turnkey this is one our favourite times of the year, so we are more than happy to help you with this.
Whether you work on a financial year or calendar year, the start of a new year brings a new vitality and refreshed mindset. It’s a good time to review both current and future performance in respect to activity, results and investment/spend.
Healthy marketing practices to bring in the new year:
- Where did you enjoy your best results? How can you not just replicate, but do this better? The wheel doesn’t always need to be reinvented. A slight change on a good performer – whether it’s a product or campaign can be very effective.
- Reach out to your finance team. Have a bit of healthy sparring session with them. They thinking differently to the marketing team and the collaboration of thinking can bring new ways of managing your marketing dollars.
- If things are a little tight, and you didn’t achieve the results you were after, instead of cost cutting as being your first point of call, shift the thinking to what would we do if we doubled our expenditure expenditure budget. What this does is change your mindset to think a lot wider and deeper, beyond where you currently are. This helps prompt more strategic solutions that can deliver higher returns.
- Think quality over quantity. What content is resonating, impacting, cutting through with your audience? Keep doing this. The content that is not having any impact, ask yourself if it’s worth continuing?
- Evaluate the correlation between marketing projects and business goals. Are they aligned? Have conversations with other departments. Are you all aligned on the business direction. How can you work even better together in 2018?
- Is there an opportunity to enrich your marketing activity – both in respect to content depth and results by collaborating with new partners? Who do you share a similar audience with? Can you mutually benefit from working together through adding value to them?
- Spend some time with your current business partners. What are they doing in 2018 to improve their business. What do they think you should be doing in 2018 to improve your? An opportunity for reflection and authentic relationship building.
- How, as a marketing team, can you bring an elevated energy level to 2018? More enthusiasm, leads to better ideas, working relationships and results.
- Include the key actions from the list above to your weekly marketing meetings, so they don’t become a ‘conversation I remember once having’, but they lead to actionable outcomes that drive marketing and business improvement.
Who knew we could change the way we relax at a beach? The rectangle beach towel seems only made for one person use. And then here comes the Round Beach Towel. What’s so good about a beach towel being round? Why has it become a envied beach accessory?
- More beach coverage – which is good when you find yourself at a packed beach.
- One towel can suffice two people
- Enough space to manage fish and chips, computer, bag, beach ball
- Visibility – for your brand.
It’s the ideal promotional product of the season especially when the Australian Summer means that we have plenty of opportunity to soak up some rays in this heat. On top of that, it is highly Instagrammable when the design aesthetic is captivating and therefore more likely to be included in that beach photo where others can see and will want one for themselves.
A nice alignment with a brand that speaks summer time – fresh, summer, beach, family & friends, enjoyment, carefree.
A great all year round promotional product, hands down. And anyone and everyone loves a coffee mug.
Whilst there’s nothing wrong with a coffee mug with your logo proudly displayed, there are other creative ways you can decorate your mug, ensuring the user will love it.
Coffee mugs can come to life that your customers/clients/staff will love with a little bit of creativity. Things to consider:
- Size and weight of the mug
- Texture – shiny matte
- Material – ceramic, porcelain, china
- Number of colours to be printed
- Brand presence
- Print quality
- Delivery Date
- How will you deliver it to the receiver?
- Can you personalise it?
- Quantity and lead-time, with larger quantities custom designs can be produced offshore
- Decoration position, consider a lip imprint, decoration on the base or on the inside to reveal your message
Also think about the packaging. How will the gift be received? A bit part of opening anything is the anticipation. Also when working with breakables, plan for the rough handling, so you protect the product as much as possible.
With the increase in digital decoration, there are more options to print coffee mugs with full colour and personalisation … your staff will always be able to find their mug in the staff kitchen cupboard and who doesn’t love receiving a gift with their name on it!
Branding Appears Magically
A thermochromic coffee mug with a unique thermochromic coating, allowing the dishwasher safe wrap, around branding to appear ‘magically’ when hot liquid is added, and then disappear again as it cools. A bit of fun. And it is nicely presented in a black gift box.